5 Steps to Prevent Dry, Chapped Lips
OUR LIPS are one of the places on our body that start showing signs of aging first, and are most commonly forgotten in our skin care routine. Here are some simple steps to keep those puckers plump without resorting to cosmetic procedures or injectables.
1. EXFOLIATE them. Your lips don't have any sweat or sebaceous glands, so they lack the protective layer of sweat and body oils that the rest of the skin on your body has. This causes the lips to become dry and dehydrated easily. Exfoliating them with a gentle sugar scrub once or twice a week will help them shed the dead skin layer and smooth out their texture.
2. DON'T LICK Licking your lips dries them out. Avoid licking as much as possible.
3. BALM them up at night. Use a natural lip balm throughout the day and at night before bed to keep them hydrated.
4. DRINK water and lots of it. Proper hydration is crucial for overall skin health and has
tremendous anti-aging benefits.
To keep lips plump in the winter ...
5. APPLY a collagen stimulating lip serum on them twice a day. Look for one that has peptides and hyaluronic acid that draw moisture to your skin, keeping them soft and full.
Leona Baisley Vivid Complexion Having been licensed esthetician for over 8 years, Leona has worked for a variety of spas and wax only salons. She is passionate about skin care, waxing and education for both the professional and the client. She has over 4 years of wax training experience for large organizations and is in the beginning stages of creating her own education classes that will help licensed estheticians and cosmetologists grow their businesses and compete with the top professionals in the industry.