The Ultimate Tips for Safe Tanning
We all want the sun-kissed glow, that “healthy tan”, but what are the safest and best ways to get it? The sun is good for our health (in moderation) and our moods. How can we have fun in the sun get our Vitamin D and feel good all at the same time?
There are benefits to being in the sun such as it stimulates Vitamin D and the sun helps produce serotonin, which is proven to alleviate anxiety. And as a bonus gives us a nice tan or glow.
Tanning with the sun, a few do’s and don’ts:
- Always use sunblock or sunscreen SPF of 15 minimum but 30 is best.
- Apply 15 to 30 mins before the going in the sun, and reapply every 2 hours or after water.
- A good guide to sun protection is two to three tablespoons for your whole body, give or take based on body size.
- Know your limits, don’t stay in the sun too long, give your body a break with some shade. A gradual tan is safer and lasts longer.
- You can also use a sunblock with a bronzer, it will help quicken your tan.
- Always moisturize your skin after being out in the sun.
Tanning without the sun, a few tips:
- Try using Self-tanners, they use a chemical, dihydroxyacetone, that dyes the skin cells on your body. This is temporary as it will disappear as your body sheds. Remember to reapply as needed.
- Exfoliate your body before applying the self-tanner cream. This will give a more even tone to your skin and it will fade more evenly.
- Self-tanners usually don’t contain a sun protectant so you’ll still need to use one when going out in the sun.
Have a fabulous Labor Day weekend!
Tamera Pierce-Marquez has been a licensed esthetician for over 15 years and in the beauty business for 25 years has given Tamera a wide range of experience working in spas, salons and in cosmetology schools. She is a National Skin Care & Waxing Educator, working for local and international manufacturing companies. She also works directly with clients in a salon setting. Tamera is an advocate for continuing education for professionals and her clients.
- Tamera Marquez