The Importance of Picking the Right Cleanser for your Skin Type
Cleansing your skin goes beyond just clean. You need to know what skin type you have to make an informed decision. What is good for oily skin is definitely not right for dry skin. Understanding your skin type is step one!
Everyone tells you all the time, "you must wash your face twice a day." Sure, buy why?
The Benefits of Cleansing
- You are removing build up dirt, oil and debris. Think of what your skin comes in contact during the day…pollutants, bacterias, dirt, sweat, sun and not to mention old, dead skin cells. During the night, you can build up sweat, oils and dirt as well that need to be removed. Think about your pillowcase. Do you wash your pillow case every day? Didn’t think so.
- A proper cleanse allows your skin to receive product properly and allows that product to fully and properly penetrate into the outer layer of the skin.
- Cleaning your skin maintains a proper level of hydration and helps to manage pH levels of the skin, which in turn, enables sufficient water and product retention.
- Clean skin helps to maintain proper pore size and prevents the production of excess oils, which also helps in maintaining clear skin.
- Regular cleansing keeps your skin looking radiant and healthy.
- If you are trying to get your teens skin to stop breaking out, a regular cleanse is a great way to start! It gets them in a routine and when they start to see some change, they will be more open to adding other breakout clearing products in to the routine.
With all of the choices out there today - choosing a cleanser can be quite difficult - here are a few tips…
- What is your skin type? Normal, Dry, Oily or Combo or Sensitive Skin?
- Normal Skin: Look for an all purpose cleanser that does not strip your skin, causing it to be dry and that removes makeup. I recommend the Classic Cleanser with White Oak Bark and Yucca Extract.
- Dry Skin: I recommend a cream base cleanser, low or no alcohol content, that removes makeup and is marketed as gentle. Silky Cream Cleanser with French Sea Waters, Seaweed Extract and Mango.
- Oily Skin: A gel cleanser that is oil free, has a lower pH level, is free of fragrance and additives, and contains some acids (such as salicylic, glycolic or lactic) that can exfoliate and target clogged pores. Our Corrective Cleanser is perfect for oily skin.
- Combo Skin: A foaming cleanser works best for dry/oily combo skin. Again, make sure it does leave skin feeling dry, contains natural ingredients and removes makeup. Our Classic Cleanser is the the right choice for combo skin.
- Sensitive Skin: No fragrances, additives, synthetic ingredients. Creamy cleansers, like our Silky Cream Cleanser, tend to be the most gentle on the skin.
The basic Do’s of washing your face…
Cleanse morning and night!!
Don’t spend your money on “transforming” products unless you have properly readied your face to receive them.
If you have any questions after reading this article, please message us on Facebook and we will answer you within 24 hours! Happy skin!
Erin Madson is co-owner of Amber Products and 5MK.
She has been in the spa industry for over 20 years.
Erin heads education, innovation and sales with her
husband, Mark Madson.